Sedation dentistry can change the way you view dental appointments. Each year, nearly 40 million Americans delay or cancel their dental visits due to anxiety, fear, or phobia. In Hoffman Estates, Dr. Becker will help you relax and have painless dental experiences. He has even helped many patients overcome their anxiety and look forward to their visits.
What Is a Sedation Dentist?
A sedation dentist provides anti-anxiety medication to help you relax before and during dental treatment and have less sensitivity to pain. Dr. Becker will review your medical history to ensure you’re a candidate for it. He provides inhalation sedation with nitrous oxide.
Nitrous oxide is the mildest level of sedation. It is a colorless, odorless gas that is often referred to as laughing gas. It is safe and reliable, and since 1844, dentists have used it to help patients relax.
What to expect
- You will breathe in the gas during your appointment to maintain a sense of calmness and well-being.
- Nitrous oxide works quickly. Within two to three minutes, you’ll be relaxed but alert to respond to Dr. Becker’s questions and instructions.
- Your sensitivity to pain will be reduced, but Dr. Becker’s techniques help him deliver painless treatment even without sedation.
- This form of sedation is effective in reducing or eliminating gag reflexes during dental treatment.
- We will monitor your vital signs throughout the appointment to ensure your comfort.
- After the appointment, you’ll stop breathing in nitrous oxide, and your recovery is immediate. The effects will be quickly reversed—often within seconds.
- You can drive yourself home after the appointment without an escort.
Dr. Becker’s Techniques
Dr. Becker has practiced dentistry for more than 30 years. He has become skilled at using the techniques and technology required to create relaxing, painless experiences for his patients—even without sedation. Although he makes his patients so comfortable that most of them don’t require sedation dentistry, it’s available if you need it.
If you are interested in increasing your comfort and improving your dental experiences, call us to schedule an appointment, or request an appointment online.