Good oral health contributes to good overall health. At Poplar Crossing Dental in Hoffman Estates, Dr. Becker uses high-tech, metal-free materials to provide restorations that are both healthy and beautiful.
Metal Allergies and Sensitivities
If you have metal allergies or sensitivities, Dr. Becker understands the need for metal-free alternatives for your dental care. The most common reactions are caused by nickel, beryllium, and chromium. A reaction to the metal in dental work can affect oral tissue or other parts of your body in several ways, including:
- Chronic inflammation
Dr. Becker provides highly aesthetic, metal-free alternatives for restoring teeth. Whether you need a dental filling or a crown, you won’t have to worry about adverse reactions and the need to have dental work replaced due to your body’s immune response.
Dr. Becker uses all-ceramic crowns, which have several advantages over crowns with a metal foundation.
- Aesthetics – They match the translucence and color of your natural teeth.
- Conservative preparation – Sometimes a porcelain onlay, instead of a full crown, can be used to keep the healthy parts of your teeth and restore only the damaged portion.
- Durability – They are extraordinarily strong.
- Metal-free – You won’t experience darkening around your gumline after they are bonded to your teeth.
The before-and-after photos below show old amalgam fillings that were replaced with metal-free porcelain onlays. Where possible, this conservative option is used to save as much healthy tooth structure as possible instead of tapering the tooth and placing a dental crown over it.
- e.max – e.max is made of lithium disilicate—a high-strength material that produces highly aesthetic results for a dental bridge on front teeth. The color, gloss, and translucence will match your natural teeth.
- Zirconia – Zirconium dioxide supports a bridge on back teeth. This high-strength ceramic is often referred to as ceramic steel. The bridge will closely match your natural teeth.
If you have any cavities, Dr. Becker will use dental composite, porcelain inlays, or porcelain onlays to fill them. Not only are these methods metal free, they benefit you in other ways:
- Preserve more of your tooth structure
- Bind to and strengthen your teeth
- Look natural and match the shade of your natural teeth
Interested in Metal-Free Dentistry?
Dr. Becker has advanced training in cosmetic dentistry to provide you with metal-free restorations that look natural. The high-quality materials he uses will ensure your restorations will last. Call our office if you have questions, or request an appointment for an exam.