I’m starting to regret not getting a dental implant. I had a top, right molar extracted, and my dentist placed the bridge o immediately. I thought the extraction hole might need some time to clot, but my doctor said that the bridge on top of the extraction would help the blood clot set. I’m afraid that my gums and bone beneath the bridge won’t heal and that I should have gone with the other dentist who wanted to do dental implants. – Thanks much. Vaughn
Although a dentist, such as Dr. William Becker of Poplar Crossing Dental, would need to examine your extraction site, it sounds as if your dentist did the right thing.
You didn’t mention if your dentist placed a temporary or a permanent bridge. A bridge could put some pressure on the site, but often it isn’t necessary. It usually only takes about five minutes for the bleeding to stop.
Other ways to stop bleeding after a tooth extraction include:
- Gel foam
Dental Bridge vs. Implant
A dentist can replace a missing tooth with a dental bridge or an implant. Either solution will prevent the teeth on the other side of the missing one from moving.
- Purpose – It will fill the space of a missing tooth and prevent the teeth on either side from drifting in the space.
- Function – It’s much more comfortable to eat and speak with it than a removable partial denture. But it’s not as comfortable as a dental bridge.
- Jawbone shrinkage – Without stimulation from tooth roots, the jawbone at the extraction site will shrink.
- Longevity – A dental bridge can last up to 15 years before your dentist replaces it.
- Cost – It’s less expensive than a dental implant
- Purpose – An implant is an artificial tooth that replaces a natural tooth from the root up.
- Function – It functions like a natural tooth.
- Jawbone shrinkage – The “root” fixture stimulates bone and prevents shrinkage.
- Longevity – Dental implants can last a lifetime, but the dental crown will need to be replaced every 15 to 20 years.
- Cost – It’s the most expensive form of tooth replacement.
If you received a quality dental bridge, it should last for years. Keep your regular dental cleaning and exam appointments to protect your oral health and ensure the bridge is functioning well. Whenever your dental bridge needs replacement, you can consider a dental implant.
This post is sponsored by Hoffman Estates, IL dental implant provider, Dr. William Becker.