I had a root canal and that tooth is now fractured and has an infected abscess. I’ve been in pain and groggy for a couple of weeks because of this. I have an extraction scheduled and then plan to get a dental implant. One thing that worries me is that they don’t have me scheduled for another three weeks. My cheek is swelling and I am absolutely miserable. Is it important for me to wait the three weeks for the specialist or can I go to anyone who can get me in?
I don’t see any reason to wait. This is especially true if your cheek is starting to swell as well. this concerns me because it means that your specialist, which I am assuming is an oral surgeon, did not provide you with any antibiotics in the interim. That is important. While an antibiotic cannot heal a dental infection, it can hold it at bay. You do not want the infection to blow up before your procedure. These are considered dental emergencies for a reason.
The first thing I would do is call your regular dentist and tell him or her what is going on. Ask them to prescribe you an antibiotic while you work this out. In most cases, a dentist can do a tooth extraction. I’m curious if there was anything challenging or unique about your particular case that was brought up. If not, just about any dentist will do for an extraction. Just make sure you check their reviews to see if patients have had good experiences with them in the past.
Another thing I am going to recommend is you see a dentist who offers dental sedation options. You are already in a lot of pain. There is no reason to make this any more difficult on you than it needs to be.
Your choice of a dental implant for teeth tooth is good as well. Make sure whoever you see for your replacement has post-doctoral education in the dental implant procedure. Implants are an advanced procedure which is not adequately taught in general dental school.
This blog is brought to you by Hoffman Estates Dentist Dr. William Becker.